Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday Clean-up

So today I decided to take a little break from the dress sewing and try to clean up the sewing room and improve it's look a tad bit. I filed away all the scattered patterns everywhere and then decided to take care of the dilapidated ironing board.

 
See the yucky stain, ugly denim color and rotary cut right down the middle? (I had a mental brain lapse many months ago and cut something on the ironing board with my rotary cutter... I know, I know!)

The fabric I had that I wanted to use was wider than it was long, so I took the liberty of sewing it together length wise. I figured it was just an ironing board, no one is going to care if there is a seam down the center :)

 
Then I took the string out from the old cover and saved it to use later :) Next I traced out the old cover onto the new fabric.

 

I pressed an approximately 1/2" seam all the way around and then I sewed the string casing. (I was lazy since the underside is never seen I didn't finish the fabric edge.)
Then tied the string off onto a safety pin and feed it through.
 

  

Then put the finished product onto the board frame. Easy as that!! And I must say it looks a whole lot better too! :)
 



DIY Day @ ASPTL

3 comments:

Angela said...

Lins that looks great!! I want one!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great tutorial! I need a new cover for my ironing board desperately. Yours is fabulous! :) I'm visiting from Kimba's party. Here's my link from the party:
http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2010/02/preserving-your-memories-without-losing.html

Andrea said...

I have been needing a new cover also! I need to put it on my list. Stopping by from ASPTL DIY day!